The Mind Governed by the Spirit
This verse has no hidden meaning.
The lifestyle of the flesh flows from a mind that is focused on the flesh, and the lifestyle of the Spirit flows from a mind that is focused on the Spirit.
It's really that simple.
The “flesh” and “Spirit” language isn't talking about our physical bodies. It's describing what is directing our thoughts, our desires, our decisions and ultimately our lives.
What is governing your mind?
Are you allowing your flesh to call the shots, or are you allowing the Spirit of God to lead you?
God gives us free will to choose. We get to decide which direction we are going to go.
The way of the flesh or the way of the Spirit.
Those are two totally opposite directions.
Let's be honest. The way of the flesh can be very appealing.
Our flesh wants what it wants.
It wants comfort. It wants pleasure. It wants recognition. It wants revenge when we've been hurt. It wants to be right. It wants to do what feels good instead of what is right. It wants things on our timetable.
And sometimes we convince ourselves that if we can just get what we want, we'll finally be happy.
But here's the problem:
Getting what we want doesn't always give us what we need.
Something can make us happy for a moment and still leave us empty afterward.
We can buy something we've wanted for a long time and be excited about it—until the excitement wears off.
We can get the job we wanted, the recognition we wanted, the relationship we wanted, the success we wanted, and still discover that something is missing.
We can spend our lives chasing one thing after another, always thinking the next thing will finally make us content.
That's because happiness and peace aren't necessarily the same thing.
Happiness can be based on circumstances.
Peace can exist in the middle of circumstances.
And that's what catches my attention about Romans 8:6.
Paul doesn't say the mind governed by the Spirit is temporary happiness.
He says it is life and peace.
I've learned that there is a huge difference between being happy because I got what I wanted and having peace because I know I'm where God wants me to be.
Choosing a life led by the Spirit is the best decision I've ever made.
That doesn't mean I don't make mistakes.
I do.
It doesn't mean I don't take detours.
I do that, too.
It doesn't mean I always get it right.
Far from it.
I'm human.
There are times when my flesh wants to grab the steering wheel and take control. There are times when I want to do things my way because, in that moment, I think my way makes more sense.
And sometimes I have to remind myself:
Lisa, you don't have to understand everything to trust God.
That's where being Spirit-led comes in.
Following the Spirit doesn't mean that life will always be easy. It doesn't mean we won't experience disappointment, loss, heartache, uncertainty or things we don't understand.
It means we don't have to walk through those things alone.
It means we have a God who is with us.
A God who guides us.
A God who corrects us when we get off course.
A God who can take our mistakes and our detours and still lead us toward the destination He has for us.
A detour doesn't mean the journey is over.
Sometimes we simply have to turn around and get back on the right road.
And I'm thankful that God doesn't abandon us every time we make a wrong turn.
Think about a GPS.
You can completely miss your exit, make a wrong turn and get yourself headed in the wrong direction.
What does the GPS do?
It recalculates.
It doesn't say, “Well, you messed up, so I guess you're on your own now.”
It finds another way to get you where you're going.
I think sometimes we look at our mistakes that way.
We think we've messed up too badly. We've gone too far. We've made too many wrong choices.
But God is still there.
He can redirect us.
He can restore us.
He can lead us back.
That's one of the reasons I want my mind governed by His Spirit.
I don't trust myself enough to believe that every desire I have is a good one or that every direction I want to take is the right one.
I need God.
I need His wisdom.
I need His guidance.
I need His correction.
I need His peace.
And I would much rather have God directing my life than spend my life being directed by whatever my flesh happens to want at the moment.
Now, I know there are people who don't believe in God.
You might read this and think I'm wasting my life.
You might think believing in God, following Jesus and allowing the Holy Spirit to direct my life is foolish.
That's okay.
I'm not writing this to force anyone to believe what I believe.
I'm simply telling you why I've made the choice I've made.
If I live my life for God, experience His peace, have purpose, love people, serve others, and find fulfillment in Him—and when this life is over there is no God—what have I really lost?
But if I live my entire life without God, following only what my flesh wants, and there is a God, then I've risked everything.
I'd rather risk it for the biscuit, as the saying goes.
I'd rather live my life for God.
I'd rather follow the leading of His Spirit.
I'd rather put my faith in Jesus.
I'd rather spend my life pursuing the things that have eternal value than spend my life chasing temporary pleasures that will eventually disappear.
And yes, some people might call that fire-and-brimstone preaching.
Maybe it is.
But what I know is what the Bible tells me.
According to Scripture, eternity is real. There is life with God, and there is separation from God. And that's not something I'm willing to gamble with.
I don't want to live my life asking, “How much can I get away with?”
I want to live asking, “God, what do You want me to do?”
Those are two completely different ways of approaching life.
One puts me at the center.
The other puts God at the center.
One says, “My will be done.”
The other says, “Your will be done.”
And honestly, I know which one gives me more peace.
There are still days when I struggle.
There are still days when I worry.
There are still days when I question.
There are still days when I get impatient and want answers right now.
But even in those moments, I know where I want to turn.
I want to turn toward God, not away from Him.
Because Romans 8:6 gives us a choice that really isn't complicated.
The mind governed by the flesh is death.
The mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace.
There are two roads.
One is governed by what I want.
The other is governed by the Spirit of God.
I won't always walk the right road perfectly. I may stumble. I may take a detour. I may even find myself trying to grab the steering wheel and take control again.
But I know where I want my life headed.
I want the Holy Spirit leading me.
I want God directing my steps.
I want the peace that comes from knowing I'm walking with Him.
And when I have to choose between getting what my flesh wants and following where God is leading...
I'll choose life and peace.
Every time.
Just saying.
No comments:
Post a Comment