Family Pic 2026

Family Pic 2026
Tucker, Scot, Lisa, Tim & Stella

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Let There Be Light


Let There Be Light

Before God spoke, the earth was described as formless and empty, with darkness covering the deep. There was no order, no beauty, and no life as we know it.

And then God spoke:

“Let there be light.”

And there was light.

This is the first recorded command of God in Scripture. God didn't need materials to create it. He didn't need to struggle against another power. He simply spoke, and creation responded.

There is something especially significant about the fact that God created light before the sun, moon, and stars. Those heavenly bodies aren't introduced until the fourth day (Genesis 1:14–19). The light in these first verses, therefore, isn't simply a description of sunlight. It demonstrates God's authority over creation.

Light existed because God commanded it to exist.

Then Genesis 1:4 says:

“God saw that the light was good.”

God distinguished the light from the darkness, establishing the pattern of light and darkness, day and night. Throughout Genesis 1, we repeatedly see God bringing order out of what was previously without form and filling what was empty.

And there is a beautiful theme here.

The Bible begins with darkness.

And God's first recorded creative word is:

“Let there be light.”

That theme of light continues throughout Scripture.

Light becomes associated with God's presence, truth, righteousness, revelation, and salvation. Later, Jesus declares:

“I am the light of the world.” — John 8:12

John's Gospel intentionally echoes Genesis when it begins:

“In the beginning was the Word...” — John 1:1

John goes on to tell us that life was in Him, and that life was the light of all mankind, and that the light shines in the darkness (John 1:4–5).

So Genesis begins with God bringing physical light into a dark creation, while the larger story of Scripture ultimately points us toward Christ bringing spiritual light into a dark world.

And this is where these verses become personal for me.

I've had seasons in my own life when things didn't look anything like I thought they would. Times when I didn't understand what God was doing. Times when I couldn't see what was ahead or how He could possibly bring something good out of circumstances that felt anything but good.

But looking back, I can see something I couldn't always see in the moment:

God was there.

He was working even when I couldn't see Him working.

He was bringing order where I couldn't see any order.

He was making something beautiful out of things I might have considered broken, empty, or even the result of my own poor choices.

I've learned that God doesn't need everything to already be in order before He begins His work.

Look at Genesis.

It was formless.

It was empty.

It was dark.

And God spoke.

“Let there be light.”

And there was light.

That doesn't mean every dark season in our lives disappears immediately when we pray. Scripture certainly doesn't promise that. There will be seasons when we don't understand, when we have to wait, when we hurt, and when we simply have to trust God in the middle of the darkness.

I've had to learn that too.

But these verses remind me of who God is in the darkness.

He is the God who creates where there seems to be nothing.

He brings order where there is chaos.

He brings beauty where there is emptiness.

And He brings light where there is darkness.

Sometimes we want God to show us the whole picture before we can trust Him. We want to know what He's doing, where He's leading, and how everything is going to work out.

But Genesis 1 reminds me that God doesn't need me to understand what He's doing.

He simply needs me to trust who He is.

Because He is still the God who speaks into darkness.

And when God speaks, darkness doesn't get to argue with Him.

“Let there be light.”

And there was light.

That is the God I know.

And that is the God I trust.

Darkness may be present, but darkness does not have the final word when God is present.

Genesis 1:3–4 isn't merely telling us that God created light. It introduces us to a God who speaks into darkness and brings forth something good.

And if He can do that with creation, I believe He can do it in us, too.

No comments: