Shining in a World That Feels Dark
“Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.”
—Daniel 12:3 NIV
My NIV Application Bible puts Daniel 12:3 this way, and every time I read it, I find myself thinking about the world we live in today.
There seems to be panic everywhere you turn.
Turn on the news. Scroll through social media. Listen to conversations around you. There are plenty of people who are convinced that if we don't act immediately, our entire society is going to be turned over to the devil.
And honestly, sometimes there is good reason to be concerned. There are things happening in our world that should grieve us. There are things we should stand against. There are things we should pray about and, when God gives us the opportunity, things we should do something about.
But I don't believe God has called His children to live in a constant state of panic.
When I read Daniel 12:3, I am reminded that wisdom doesn't mean joining the panic. Wisdom means knowing God, trusting Him, remaining faithful to Him, and allowing His light to shine through us—even when the world around us feels very dark.
And that's where I come back to those two little words that can change everything:
But God.
The world says, “Look at what's happening!”
But God.
The world says, “Everything is falling apart!”
But God.
The world says, “There's no hope!”
But God.
Because without God, there really is no lasting hope. Without God, we don't have the wisdom we need to navigate a world that can sometimes feel completely upside down.
But with God, we don't have to be controlled by fear.
That doesn't mean we stick our heads in the sand and pretend nothing is happening. It doesn't mean we ignore evil or stop caring about what happens around us. And it certainly doesn't mean we shouldn't pray, speak truth, or take action when God calls us to.
It means we remember Who is ultimately in control.
Daniel 12 is actually talking about a much bigger picture than what we see happening around us today. It's pointing toward the end, toward God's ultimate victory, and toward those who remain faithful to Him. Daniel was given a glimpse of things far beyond his own lifetime.
And right in the middle of that message is this beautiful picture of God's people shining.
“Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens…”
That makes me ask myself: What kind of light am I shining?
Am I adding to the fear and panic?
Am I constantly telling people how bad everything is?
Or am I pointing people toward the One who is greater than everything happening around us?
Because perhaps one of the greatest ways we can shine in a dark world is by refusing to let the darkness change who we are.
We can be people of wisdom instead of foolishness.
People of faith instead of fear.
People of prayer instead of panic.
People who speak truth instead of adding to the noise.
And most importantly, people who lead others toward righteousness.
That's the part of Daniel 12:3 that really gets me:
“…those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.”
I don't just want to shine for the sake of shining.
I want my life to point someone else to Jesus.
I want someone who is afraid to see that they can trust God.
I want someone who feels hopeless to be reminded that God is still their hope.
I want someone who is lost to see the light of Christ through the way I live.
I want to be wise—not because I have all the answers, but because I know the One who does.
And when the world around me feels dark, I want to remember that darkness doesn't get the final word.
God does.
So when I find myself becoming overwhelmed by everything happening in the world, I don't need to panic.
I need to pause.
I need to pray.
I need to open God's Word.
I need to remember Who my hope is in.
And then simply say:
“But God.”
Because He is still God.
He is still on His throne.
He is still in control.
He is still our hope.
And He is still calling His people to shine.
So that's my desire—to be wise, to shine brightly, and to lead others toward righteousness so that they, too, can know the hope, peace, and light that can only be found in God.
In a world that seems to be getting darker, let's be people who shine.
Not because we're so wise or so strong on our own...
but because we belong to the One who is.

No comments:
Post a Comment