Mom was 16 when she married my father and 17 when she gave birth to me.
Today, that seems almost unheard of, but back in those days, a lot of women got married and started their families young. They stayed home, took care of the house and kids, while the dads went to work and provided for the family.
I think about how young my mom really was when she had me, and then my brothers and sister. I think about all she gave up so young in life to become a wife and a mom.
Her life has not been an easy one.
My folks struggled on a daily basis to rub two pennies together to feed and clothe us kids. We never went without the things we truly needed, and they always found a way to make do, but it wasn't easy.
Mom sacrificed so much to make sure we had what we needed.
It's what moms do.
I've done that with Tim many times through the years. We have never been in the dire straits my parents were in—praise the Lord—but I've still given up things I wanted or needed in order to give Tim what he needed as he chased after his hopes and dreams in his young life.
And because I've experienced that kind of sacrifice myself, I understand so much more now what my mom gave up while raising us.
She never really had much of a youth.
She went from being a student in school, to dropping out, to getting married, to having babies, to taking care of a home and being a wife and mother.
Now that's a mouthful.
She went from being a kid herself to suddenly being responsible for a family.
When I was younger, I didn't fully understand that. Honestly, I don't think I could have. Young people simply haven't lived enough life yet to understand some things.
But now that I'm older and have lived more life myself, I look back and I can see so much more clearly.
What sticks out to me the most is her resilience.
She kept going even when I'm sure every fiber of her being didn't want to.
She was strong because she needed to be strong for us kids. She kept going because she simply couldn't stop. There were mouths to feed, a house to take care of, children to raise and a husband to care for.
And Dad was a hard man to keep happy. She did her best, even though it didn't always work out the way she hoped.
At 74, Mom is still doing life to the best of her ability.
She's had to do it alone since Dad passed away in 2002. Of course, she's had us kids to support and help her along the way, but that's not the same as having your husband beside you.
At 74, I can see more of the wear and tear that all those hard years have left behind.
But she's still a trooper.
She's like the Energizer Bunny—she just keeps going.
And honestly, I have so much more respect for my mom today than I ever did when I was younger.
Age has a way of changing your perspective.
When you're young, you see your parents as simply Mom and Dad. You don't always stop to think about the sacrifices they made, the things they went without, the worries they carried or the times they kept going when they were probably exhausted and didn't know how they were going to make it through the next day.
Then you grow up.
You become a wife. You become a mom. You have responsibilities of your own. You make sacrifices for your own child.
And suddenly, you understand things you never understood before.
I understand my mom a whole lot more now.
I understand what it means to put someone else's needs ahead of your own. I understand what it means to worry about your child, to sacrifice for your child and to keep going because someone is counting on you.
And I understand her resilience.
I'm sure some of that resilience and determination is where her kids and grandkids get our drive from.
Mom has been through a lot of life.
She's experienced hard times, loss, struggle and more than her share of challenges. But she's still here. She's still going. She's still doing the best she can with what she has.
And today, I want her to know that I see it.
I see the sacrifices.
I see the strength.
I see the resilience.
And I appreciate her in a way I don't think I was capable of appreciating her when I was younger.
Happy 74th Birthday, Mom!
I'm praying this 74th year of your life is your best one yet. You deserve to be celebrated every day, but especially today.
I love you, Mom.
Happy Birthdayππ!

No comments:
Post a Comment