Family Pic 2026

Family Pic 2026
Tucker, Scot, Lisa, Tim & Stella

Wednesday, August 26, 2026

To My Athlete


To My Athlete


I hope someday you understand just how much I want you to know this—not just as your mom, but as someone who has had the privilege of watching you grow, work, struggle, overcome, succeed, and become the young man you are today. 

I know that I don't say these things to you enough.

As your mom, I spend a lot of time talking about the next goal, the next competition, the next lift, the next thing that needs to be done. We talk about numbers and training and injuries and what comes next.

And sometimes, in all of that, I probably don't say the most important thing nearly enough:

I am proud of you.

Not because of what you can lift.

Not because of the medals or the trophies.

Not because of the PRs or the competitions you've won.

Not because of what you might accomplish someday.

I was proud of you before any of it began.

Before you ever walked into a dojang or a gym.

Before you ever stepped onto a TKD mat or touched a barbell.

Before you ever knew what a PR was.

Before anyone knew what you were capable of.

You were my son, and I was already proud of you.

I love watching you pursue something you are passionate about. I love watching you work hard and discover what you're capable of. I love seeing the discipline, determination, and dedication you've developed through this journey.

And yes, I am incredibly proud of the athlete you've become.

But I want you to understand something even more important: 

Your accomplishments are something you do. They are not who you are.

There will be day when you win, and there will be days when you don't.

There will be days when the weight moves easily and day when it doesn't.

There will be seasons when your body allows you to do everything you want to do and seasons when an injury forces you to slow down.

There will be moments when you surprise yourself with how strong you are and moments when you question whether you're strong enough.

Through it all, I hope you remember:

You never have to prove yourself to me.

You never have to put a certain number on the bar to make me proud.

You never have to win a competition to make me love watching you do what you love.

And you certainly never have to be perfect.

I believe God gave you an incredible athletic ability for a reason. I don't know exactly where He will take you with that gift, but I believe there is purpose in it. Maybe the purpose will be found in the competitions you win. Maybe it will be found in the people you encourage along the way. Maybe it will shape you for something completely different that God has planned for your future.

Whatever He has for you, I pray you never lose sight of the fact that your worth was never found in your performance.

You get to enjoy this.

You get to chase big goals.

You get to work hard and see what you're capable of.

You get to stand on a platform and give everything you've got.

And you get to enjoy the incredible feeling of accomplishing something you once thought might be impossible.

But you don't have to accomplish those things to be worthy of the joy.

You are already worthy.

So lift the weight. 

Chase the goal.

Dream bigger.

Work hard.

Celebrate the victories.

Learn from the disappointments.

Get back up when life knocks you down.

And when you stand on that platform, I hope you can look out into the crowd and know that your mom isn't sitting there thinking about what you have to prove.

She's sitting there thinking, "That's my boy."

And whether you are holding a medal or walking away without one, whether you're setting a record or simply doing your best, whether you're sitting on the sidelines because your body needs time to heal...

I'll still be thinking the same thing.

"That's my boy."

Because I was proud of you before any of it began.

And I will be proud of you long after it ends.

I love you, Tim.

Never forget that.

No comments: