Don't Be Anxious About Anything
Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) says,
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
I heard this verse preached countless times while growing up. It was one of the first Scriptures I memorized as a child, and it has stayed with me throughout my life.
The truth is, anxiety comes naturally for many of us. It certainly did for me.
Growing up in a home with an alcoholic father and a mother who enabled him—mostly out of fear of what he might do to her or to us kids—I learned to live in a constant state of worry. I was always waiting for the next argument, the next disappointment, or the next crisis. Anxiety became my normal.
As I got older, that anxious way of living followed me. It clung to me like glue, trying to keep me in bondage to fear and worry.
But God never intended for us to live that way.
When Paul tells us, "Do not be anxious about anything," he isn't pretending life is easy. He's inviting us to do something different when anxiety comes. Instead of carrying every burden ourselves, we're invited to bring every concern, every fear, and every unanswered question to God through prayer—with thankful hearts, trusting that He hears us.
Notice that God doesn't always promise to remove the situation immediately. Instead, He promises something even greater—His peace.
Not just any peace, but "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding."
That kind of peace doesn't always make sense. It can settle over your heart while you're still walking through difficult circumstances. It isn't based on everything going right; it's based on knowing the One who is in control.
I especially love the promise that His peace will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus. What an incredible picture! God's peace stands watch over us like a guard, protecting us from being overwhelmed by fear and anxiety as we continue to trust Him.
Every time I read those words, they bring a sense of calm that is hard to explain. It's almost as if His peace begins to bubble up inside of me, reminding me that I'm not carrying life's burdens alone. That peace is refreshing, especially considering everything I've walked through.
Jesus later echoed this same promise in John 14:27:
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
The peace Jesus offers isn't dependent on our circumstances. It's different from the temporary peace the world promises. His peace steadies us in the middle of uncertainty because it comes from His presence, not from our situation.
Living in a dysfunctional home isn't the way God intended anyone to live, but sadly, many people know that reality all too well. Looking back now, I can see God's hand on my life every step of the way. He walked with me through the pain, helped me heal from my past, and gently taught me to trust Him instead of my fears.
Today, He has blessed me with an amazing husband, a wonderful son, and a life filled with His faithfulness. I don't take any of it for granted.
More than anything, I simply want to keep walking with Him.
After all He's done for me, how could I not love Him with all my heart? I still fail Him at times because I'm human, but He has never failed me. Instead, He faithfully wraps me in His loving arms, reminds me of His grace, and gently brings me back into fellowship with Him. That's who He is.
Maybe you're carrying something today that's causing anxiety—a health concern, financial stress, family struggles, or simply uncertainty about what comes next. Whatever it is, you don't have to carry it alone.
Take it to the Lord. Tell Him everything that's on your heart. Thank Him for His faithfulness, even before you see the answer. Then trust Him to do exactly what He promised.
His peace may not always change your circumstances immediately, but it will change you as you walk through them. And sometimes, that's the greatest miracle of all.

No comments:
Post a Comment